Tuesday, June 13, 2006

June 13, 2006

Yesterday was the first that I’ve taken some hits since we’ve been here. First off, I made the horrifying discovery that the cash machines here (yup, they’ve got ‘em) only take Visa. Well, our bank only has MasterCard. So we’ll have to figure out a way to get our cash.

Then, there was a taxi strike. The drivers wanted help with rising fuel costs. Despite Cameroon being a major world oil producer, there are few if any refineries here, so the gasoline is actually imported. One of Africa’s biggest problems is that the continent, for the most part, does not transform it’s primary commodities – the cotton gets shipped out as cotton not shirts, the cocoa gets shipped out as cocoa not chocolate, the coffee isn’t ground here – and the transformation is what creates jobs and generates cash. The gasoline costs in Cameroon are a case in point. Maybe Bill Frist can send his $100 to ease the gas price crisis to every Cameroonian household rather than every American household. They’d certainly appreciate it (and yes, I do think direct aid like that is bad. But Bill Frist is a spectacularly silly man and deserves to be made fun of. He’s begging for it).

And then I tried to download Skype so that I can start calling you people cheap. But I couldn’t get the Internet connection to last long enough to download the bloody program. So now I’m trying again but I have no hope. I’m also not sure if I can plug the necessary headsets into my computer. So let’s hope. Does anybody who has a Mac have any thoughts on this? There’s a reward of a Cameroonian gorilla in it for anyone who has the correct answer. Don’t believe me that I can get you a gorilla? To paraphrase Walter from The Big Lebowski, you want a gorilla? I’ll get you a gorilla. With nail polish. I can have it for you by this afternoon. It’s Cameroon. All it takes is a dollar and a dream.

So, all of those three things occurred yesterday, and I’m still enjoying Yaoundé. For some reason, it’s easier to accept the sort of developing world challenges here than they were in Kigali. A lot of it is me. I’m more hopeful about the work I’m going to have here. I say going to because the assignments aren’t yet assigned. But I know at least one editor is “keen” to develop an idea here. He’s English. They say funny things like they’re keen on things.

Part of it is that I made my cash machine discovery because I needed to start paying for our plane tickets for our vacation. Originally we were supposed to be going to Croatia for Rebecca’s 30th birthday. But then the move and other things came in, so we couldn’t take that trip. So then we said Italy. But that didn’t really work out. So now, finally, it’s France, or as my mom said, “You’re going to the land of the frogs?” We’re going to meet Bec’s mom and dad in Paris and then drive to Brittany. The Stiches have booked us a room in a chateau near the sea for Bec’s birthday. We leave on June 20, which I guess is a week from today. Nope, I’m not guessing. It is. (Don’t worry, we’ll be able to pay for the tickets and we’re going.)

But I think a big part of why the challenges are challenges more than annoyances is that I’m giving myself a chance to enjoy Cameroon. I’ve noticed people smile here more. But I’m not blind to the nastiness that happens here. I’m starting up a big story on human trafficking now that I see as a really long magazine piece. Anyone know any editors who may be interested? If I get the assignment, then you, too, could be in for a gorilla, or even a giraffe. I’ll just have to fold it to fit into my big suitcase. You may have to iron it. But I’m not stared at. People aren’t constantly calling out, muzungu! Occasionally I get called le Blanc, but that’s what I am. And it’s not in the same league as Rwanda.

So, I’m still smiling. And since this is my blog, I can show you something else that’s keeping the smile on my face. Anyone remember what happened 12 years ago tomorrow? Time’s up.

This: http://www.csh.rit.edu/~kenny/rangers/media/images/cup1.jpg

And this: http://prosportsmemorabilia.com/Images/Product/33-31/33-31533-P.jpg

And this: http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2001/1010/photo/a_messier_i.jpg

And this: http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2003-09/9603029.jpg

I love having the Internet at home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got it. I got it!! Go Rangers.

Love Mom.

6:54 AM  
Blogger dirtystylus said...

I'll look into the skype/mac thing. If things continue to go awry with your internet connection, I can always download the installer, burn it to disc, and then snail mail it your way (maybe with a USB phone or headset).

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home