Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The acculturation process continues. Rebecca and I had drinks at our first open-air Cameroonian beer bar last night with some friends of ours. Yeah, we've even got those fast. What a difference a country makes.

I've also started making professional contacts. The price for a temporary press card went up to 50,000 CFA francs, about $100. The folks at the Communications Ministry couldn't show me any documentation why the price went up that much, but I figured that even with the bribe it's a lot cheaper than working in Rwanda. They told me that the price rise was because they had to justify their costs to the Ministry of Finance. To be fair, it used to cost around $10, which seemed unrealistically low.

Anyway, here's my first Cameroon story. Take a guess at what it's about. Time's up. Corruption.
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0603114.htm.

Still no word on my DaMN Rwanda story. But it'll be there. Eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home